Easy techniques for using spices
Once a precious commodity, today there are a wide variety of spices available worldwide. Cooking with spices is easy and there are a variety of interesting techniques.
Spices add dimension and flavor to meals and beverages.
There are many methods for adding spices to enhance flavor.
- Consider grinding your favorite spices for added freshness and more intense flavor.
- Toast whole spices if desired in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant and several shades darker.
- You can also toast spices in the microwave by spreading out the spices on a plate and heating uncovered for 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Quickly dry fresh herbs by placing between paper towels and microwaving for a few minutes. Use within one year.
- Pickling Spices is a process of preserving food with a variety of spices.
- Spice Rubs are ideal for applying to meats prior to roasting to add flavor.
- Mulling Spices added to hot beverages create a perfect drink to warm you up on a chilly day. Mulled wine or cider infusing various spices and fruit essences is an ideal choice for a party or holiday gathering.
Recipes for mulling spices vary but sometimes include allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and different types of dried fruit peels.